From: Tom Irwin
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] best oil to make BD

Hello  Mr. Burgos,

Animal fat was a natural first choice as we produce a fair amount of beef here in Uruguay. From my reading on the JTF site, I found that it was a viable candidate and there are several papers available there for using it. It made sense from a chemical standpoint as fat is essentially all saturated hydrocarbon. With only single bonded carbons I knew that polymerization at temperature is not likely. I tried about 10 or 15 small batches and never had a single bad batch with methoxide as a cataylst. Then I shifted to ethoxide and had a few successes and many failures. I shifted back to methoxide to check if my technique had gone bad. It hadn't. I still got very good separation of glycerine and all washed batches passed density, wash, chemical, and motor testing. I'm currently working on waste vegetable oil which is extraordinarily variable here. Titration testing is a must do task with each new supplier and sometimes with each batch from each supplier but I get the material for free. For me this is methoxide only territory but I'm still very curious as to why I had mostly failure but some success with ethoxide. I probably go back to it once I'm producing enough for my home and farm needs.

Tom Irwin