On 11/28/05, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Not all vegetarians avoid meat because of animal rights issues.
>
> Why do they avoid it then?
>
> Best
>
> Keith

Are you itchin' for a fight? ;^)  Well, I trust that based on our long
discussion a few months ago, that you know why I avoided meat for so
many years.  But, I'll bite anyway...there are those that feel that
the land used to grow feed for livestock could be better used to grow
feed for humans.  There are also those that believe that there is an
excessive burden placed on the environment by the poor "farming"
practices followed by the large corporate farms that provide most of
the animal-based food products in some portions of the world.

Keith, before this turns into a heated debate, lets both agree that we
both understand that properly grazing animals helps to amend soil
without harming watersheds.  Which really does answer both of the
reasons mentioned above for avoiding meat.

I had avoided meats and dairies for many, many years because of
environmental damage done be agro-business.  Prior to the "Pimentel is
at it again" thread back in July, I followed an almost vegan diet.  In
the course of that discussion and over the next 6 weeks or so, I did
some serious searching and found many local farmers that are raising
organic, grassfed meats and organic pastured poultry.  My wife and I
had switched to these local farms over the grocery store for the meats
that our kids wished to eat.  After some additional "food-mile"
considerations, I have begun eating locally grown, organic, grassfed
meats and dairy to augment the locally grown, organic vegetables that
I was always able to find seasonally.  With the exception of rice and
the occasional exotic treat, we have reduced our food shed to a six
mile radius.  Once I find a source of local barley, we'll kick the
rice habit also.  But, not everyone is so lucky as I am to have these
resources available.  If I didn't have these farms close by, I would
be happy to return to a diet of based solely on locally grown plant
foods.