Hey Jacko

According to the hyperphysics page (great page) and here it is:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/watvap.html#c2

You see the vapour pressure of water at room temperature is roughly 17 mm of mercury.  This is less than 1 inch so you would need better than 29" Hg vacuum to boil off the water.  It will be a challenge to get to 29" and it will require a good pump and large diameter piping and good attention to seals and valve types.(read $$)  My reactor uses ball valves which are not really suitable for vacuum service (I'm used to talking High Vacuum 10e-12 torr -microns of mercury are gross units to me, but we are talking an order higher than that, mm really gross) so for this purpose I can get away with ball valves.  I do everything in the reactor vessel because I have space restictions.  Processing begins right after drying the oil in situ.  So therefore I use the immersion heater to heat the oil to 50 deg. C while drying and then add the methoxide after venting most of the vacuum.
If you interpolate the data from the page you see that at 50 deg. C the vapor pressure rises to around 100 mm which means roughly 26" hg vacuum (29.92" - 4").  This is something which is readily achievable even with a small pumping line (I use 1/4" poly tube from the pump to my liquid trap and 1/2 " condenser to the top of the water tank) and ball valves seem to be up to the task (so far).  I can get to 28" with this setup but when the vacuum creeps past the 27" mark I start the process. So the process goes like:

  1. Fill tank and begin heating (takes two hours)
  2. Drain liquid water
  3. Vacuum dry (about 1 hr)
  4. Mix chemicals and run reaction 2 hr
  5. Settle overnight. (want to reduce this if possible, have similar question about acceptable limits of byproduct before washing)
  6. 3 wash cycles 6 hrs
  7. Vacuum dry 1 hr.

As to your question about what is the acceptable vacuum limit. What you are really asking is how much water can we get away with. I would like to know as well.  I do know that a couple of times when I have let the dried oil sit in the reactor (under vacuum but with the pump off and valves closed) for a couple of days before reacting, a small amount of water vapor would re-condense in the tubing which is part of the recirculation system, which is at room temperature outside the insulation jacket.  I estimated it was about 1cc (out of a 25 liter batch) or roughly 40ppm water and the batch was fine.

Hope this helps
Joe

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Can vacuum be used alone to dewater oil at room temp?

Or even at slightly elevated temp? 55 deg. C would be a good temp so
when it finished drying it could be sent directly to the processor. I would also
need a condenser to keep the evacuated water out of the vacuum pump.

A friend of mine (in AC&R) uses vacuum @30" water column to take the water
content to 300 micron. What micron is acceptable other than the obvious 0
micron?

I am just looking at options vs costs. I seen a post the other day and it
made me sit back and think.

As always appreciate your input.

John Frey