To: biofuel
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 4:43 PM
Subject: [Biofuel] BD and Oil Burner

Hello All,
     I've been using a 30% BD/70% heating oil mix in my heating oil tank since August. My oil burner heats my water as well as my house. All went well (each time I checked the nozzle on the burner it was clean as new) until late in Dec.
      I was away. My wife noticed an odor of diesel fuel in the basement. She found a small puddle of oil under the furnace. Following is the report from the person who serviced the burner:
     Oil leak under the burner
     Nozzle jelled up outside
     Found some sort of jelly built up on end of nozzle
     Oil was dripping down blast tube

     I suspect that the difference in the performance of the mix in Dec vs Aug through Nov, is the cold.  Although my oil tank is inside, it is in my basement where temps drop below 50F on cold days. The fuel line to the burner is 12 ft long and runs along an exterior wall.
     During the colder months I use the best WVO, with the lowest cloud point to made BD for my car and the rest to make BD for my heating fuel. (My car is outdoors, starts on the coldest days and runs well on a 70% BD/30% petro diesel mix.  It has a small pre-coolant heater that I plug in for an hour before starting.)
     Questions:
    1. Am I right in assuming that the "jelly" on the nozzle is  the thicking of the BD due to the cold?
    2. Can the problem be addressed by heating the fuel line to the burner?
    3. Any other thoughts?
                                          Thanks,
                                                Tom