Hi David:

    I may have made a mistake in my metric to US conversion but I believe
that the 1900 litres we used last year is close to 500 US gallons.  As I
mentioned, it was an unusually cold winter here so this might not be a good
indicator.  A local fuel oil supplier would be able to give you a better
idea.  Just call and tell them that you are considering an oil furnace and
you wonder about the operating costs.
    We just had an energy audit done this summer and there are some very
significant areas where we can improve the efficiency of our house, which as
it turns out is not very efficient.  This was expected.  The house is a
story and a half double-brick construction built in 1952, an era when energy
costs were not a concern.  So I believe that with a little work and not too
much money we can significantly lower our fuel usage which will be
beneficial regardless of the fuel.
    With respect to the price of fuel oil, right now I'm paying 75 cents per
litre or about $2.85 per US gallon (about $2.45 US) so there is not that
much of a price differential.  Many of my neighbours use natural gas and pay
a fair bit more (15-25%) for winter heating.
    I'm not sure about the total cost of creating BD because you have to get
the NaOH (which is a relatively small portion of the cost) and the methanol
(much higher percent of the total cost) and there is some energy added to
the process, but BD makes sense from an environmental stand-point,
particularly if you are using WVO that would be discarded anyway.
    As for the house temperature, it's a little low by North American
standards but we have friends who have immigrated from Europe and they find
it quite pleasant.  Just buy a few extra sweaters and eat more :)

    TTYL

        Doug Turner