I don't think it is so much that the diesel will fail california emissions, so much as CA (and the northeast) plain refuse to test new diesels.  In general, diesel emissions tests just measure how thick the black smoke is -- completely different than anything than is tested on gasoline cars.
If you are asking about taking the diesel to the gasoline emissions test, I imagine that it might fail because of high NOx readings.  And biodiesel doesn't help with this.  CO and HC are probabably lower for the diesel than most gas cars. It would be interesting to know, though, as I don't think I've ever heard anything on it.

Ironically, by prohibiting new diesels, they are probably making alot of people import old 80's mercedes diesels, or large diesel trucks, which pollute MORE than a nice new diesel car would...