Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Vinegar in WVO

Zeke, Mark and Doug,
       Thanks for your thoughts. The oil comes from a nice restaurant. Some of their appetizers are deep fried and could contribute acid to the oil. I just spoke to one of the kitchen staff. He said they scrub the fryers w. vinegar and it goes, along w. the oil, into the grease dumpster. I suspect most of the vinegar settles out w. the water.
     I am interested in the role these water-soluble acids might play in the reaction and the byproducts made.
     Since they are not fatty acids, they should not produce soap themselves, but won't lye + vinegar (acetic acid) produce sodium acetate and water?
     Should I try to neutralize the vinegar before drying the oil? Should I go to the trouble of washing the oil and allowing it to settle for a few weeks before drying it?
     It is good oil and there is a lot of it. Washed w. water, settled overnight, then  dried, it titrates at 1.9g/L .
     Thanks again,
                  Tom