Hi Steve,
I am working on a non toxic preservative using the marriage of Xylitol
and Biofuel.  Xylitol is a sugar that is toxic to many fungus but
whether it will kill all the bad ones is yet to be determined.  Xylitol
is safe for human consumption and is added to gum to kill tooth
bacteria.  I am working mainly above ground on a line of Nontoxic
biodegradable "oil based" stains.  Call me crazy but the luck I have had
so far on furniture is turning some heads.
Jim