Well, I don't think it's a hoax in terms of the danger
to poultry - this could wipe out a large section of
agriculture; there's no doubt about that.  However,
the jump to humans, and then to human-human
transmission, is a lot less clear; it could have
happened 20 years ago, or it could happen 20 years
from now.  What is a hoax is the idea that stockpiling
Tamiflu from Rumsfeld's company, Gilead, will solve
the problem.

I'd be more worried about drug-resistant tuberculosis
and SARS ; the answer to that, and to any other
epidemic, is good public health networks.

http://dissidentscientist.blogspot.com/2006/04/avian-bird-flu-tamiflu-and.html

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/country/en/