Thanks Gary, but I know, I've been writing about it for awhile. We're
at the other end of it here in Japan, people we know are involved in
it. It wasn't outside my thinking when I said just ignore them.

Again, so what?

For one thing, is that guy really saying they're going to export B5
to Japan and Europe? Not B100? They're going to ship the 95%
petro-diesel too? I guess it wouldn't surprise me much if they got
their carbon credits for that.

>Give it all a scroot every now and then to see how they're getting
>along with the fuel miles issue, for instance, among others.

Europe is making serious cavilling noises about the ethical sourcing
of biofuels, and Malaysia and Indonesia particularly are right in the
cross-hairs. Planet Japan hasn't got a clue, as usual, but Japan does
have it's Kyoto commitments and when economic realities start biting
harder and harder they won't have any choice either. Whatever, it's
not going to hold onto any green cred for long, and when it loses its
carbon credits it'll get that much more expensive and the demand will
drop. Then it could start getting hit with punitive taxes. How long
is a set-up like this going to survive, say, the massive and
skyrocketing costs of global warming damage payouts that the world
insurance industry is getting so agitated about? They've got a hell
of a stick to hit people with, this stuff just doesn't work without
insurance, it'll really hurt when it gets more expensive. I think the
insurance industry will start making life hard when it comes to
insuring any activities which contribute to global warming,
regardless of how risky they are in themselves, like destroying
forests for instance.

But the forests are being devastated in the meantime. But I first saw
that there 25 years ago, also because of palm oil. Not to say there's
no hurry, but have you got any better suggestions?

On the other hand, a lot of the discarded tropical hardwood container
pallets I was complaining about come from Malaysia. If you amble off
to the local home centre here to buy some charcoal for your grill,
here in Japan with all its forests and timber it doesn't know what to
do with, and right in the middle of a forest area too, the charcoal
you'll buy is allegedly eco-green mangrove charcoal shipped here
3,000 kilometers from Malaysia. How're the mangroves doing round
there these days?

Forest protection is absolutely a critical issue in its own right,
big central palmoil biodiesel or not.

Best

Keith