Naw Keith. The purpose of the putting the design up as open source is
really to point out how all the co-/waste-products of biodiesel
manufacture should be handled for the environment's benefit, rather than
just tossing whatever in with a heap of brush or yard clippings as so
many do. It's also to point to how "simple" even industrial scale
manufacture is, allowing the mom and pops to no longer be befuddled by
the claims of mega-corps that it's beyond their reach.

The Northern Tool comparison was just to point out that it wouldn't take
much to make Edwin's extruder/expeller as common and inexpensive as a
$39.00 water pump,, which would come to a tune of approximately 33 Euros.

 > So people steal things, so what?

Thieves are a certainty. But you don't necessarily invite the thief in
for dinner. Do you think I should drop another $5,000, have the 833
gallon plan drawn up and signed off by a Process Engineer (PE) and then
publish it open source on the web? When and at what level it permissible
for "free" and "on the house" to stop?

That decision is one made at the pleasure of the point source, not the
recipient(s). Hopefully the motivations of the point source are
honorable and he or she is discerning towards the prospective end user's
circumstances and chooses to curb monetary gain somewhat or perhaps
totally in lieu of a greater good rather than gold-plated faucets for a
sunken, marble, Roman tub. I'm kind of thinking that anyone who's
already got a hand-crank extruder down to 100 Euros without
manufacturing at any economy of scale as of yet  isn't exactly trying to
profiteer off the impoverished.

 > But if I understand you right you'd close down the whole operation
 > because you're not getting the $20 from eBay.

It's not the occasional, E-bay, quick-buck, sheisters that would bother
me. It's those who would take a good idea  and profit on it in the
larger extreme to the point of being nothing but a mirror image of what
you might think (in a worst case scenario) Edwin aspiring to be. If
someone's going to produce the unit, my vote goes to the individual who
initiated the effort, not the thief in the night.

 >Can't make much sense of the rest, unless you think poverty and
 > hunger exist in isolation without a context.

Without? Now how would that be possible?

 > There's this though:

 >> 1) It's rather doubtful that those who can't afford a 100 Eu asking
 >> price could afford to construct a prototype on their own even if
 >>  they had the drawings.

 > Todd Swearingen doesn't know how distributed manufacturing works?

So if 100 Euros is half of one year's income, placing it out of their
reach, how much of their income do you think it's going to cost them to
have "ones and twos" milled by their cousin, if they happen to be lucky
enough as to be within 100 kilometers of a lathe? Maybe in lots of 100
by locals who have the mechanisms to manufacture. That type of
production scale would help when matched with regional pay scales,
rather than introducing EU labor costs into a Micronesia market. But
even then, shouldn't the point source have some association/control of
his or her own brainchild, even if it's nothing more than a permissal
nod of the head to an "appropriate" manufacturer?

 > There'd been some talk of patenting it instead but Michael didn't
agree and
 > put it in the public domain, and I agree with Michael. They get him
 > for a song, but that's not why he does it.

Coming to a point of choosing between open source and patent/licensing
is a matter of cumulative understanding - eventual comprehension of the
balance between one's personal needs and wants (both good and bad) and
the needs and wants (both good and bad) of others. Michael has
apparently found his balance between self and the needs of and benefit
to others. You've done the same where you invest your energies.

Me? Hell. I'm just a greedy, anti-social, liberal, left wing hermit who
wants to sock money into my pillow cases. I guess not everyone can be a
saint.

I'm not going to rationalize greed and/or self-interest(s) here, but the
outcome of that decision making process is not going to be the same for
all people, in all circumstances, and certainly not for all the wrong
reasons.

But for what it's worth, I think Edwin could come up with a
production/distribution scheme that can make the unit more affordable.
And personally, I think there are probably a few people on this list who
could put him in touch with some of the right people who can do this on
a "micro-regional" scale all over the globe. It is an international list
after all, with the mindsets of most of the members being in largely the
same place.

Other than that? I have just one other thought. If the pretense is that
Edwin or anyone is trying to capitalize on others who just don't have
sufficient capital, what is to be said of the individual who crushes his
or her first gallon of oil on some hillock using this unit (or any other
unit, no matter whether they built it or purchased it) and then sells or
trades that gallon at a modest profit/benefit to a neighbor? Why not
perceive this as similar advantage taking, just further down the line?

After all, most of these micro-mills are being presented as a
magnificent way to generate a little extra wealth in impoverished areas.
Isn't anyone paying much heed as to where this "wealth" is being
reallocated from at the end user level?

Maybe, just maybe, if the gods are smiling and the miller is even
remotely of "open source" spirit, he or she will be sure to charge less
for the oil than the last person who sold it. Then again, at what point
does one worry about prices becoming so deflated by too many fair-price
type of spirits (aka, competition) that it costs more to press the oil
than it's worth, leaving but one beleaguered miller standing with any
coin remaining in his or her frayed pocket?

Perhaps the mill should be community property and nobody benefit greater
or lesser than another? Which is yet another reason to bring into the
picture some initial control / equal distribution of and access to such
a device. As long as its availability to everyone is an absolute
certainty, not a measure of selectivity or personal purchase power,
there is no opportunity for anyone in an impoverished area to create
imbalance through the reallocation of wealth from another.

 > Namaste.

As well...

Todd Swearingen