The Economist

That must be the angle we're all missing - sugardiesel.

Not only that, we get the old Rudolf and the Peanuts fairytale again.
George Monbiot also did that:

"This, in fact, was how Rudolf Diesel expected his invention to be
used. When he demonstrated his engine at the World Exhibition in
1900, he ran it on peanut oil." -- "Fuel for nought -- The adoption
of biofuels would be a humanitarian and environmental disaster",
George Monbiot, Daily Comment, The Guardian, November 23, 2004
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1357370,00.html

But then so did the NBB, Willie Nelson, the Voice of America and just
about everyone else.

Stephan Helbig checked it out some time ago:

"It WASN'T him! I recently borrowed his book "The Development of the
Diesel Engine" -afaik the last one he published until he drowned
himself in the Channel. All kinds of fuels that had been tested are
described there, from coal dust over weird chemical mixtures that had
been sent to Diesel by the industry to all sorts of crude oil and
even tar-oil. Vegoil just got about 4 lines- remarking that it was
the French "Otto-Company" (yes the Otto-engine!) that ran Diesel's
engine on peanut oil: "The engine was built for crude oil and was
used without any modification on vegoil."..."it worked so well that
only a few insiders took notice of this insignificant circumstance."
(Diesel, Rudolf. 1913. Die Entstehung des Dieselmotors" 1st reprint
by Braun, Hans-Joachim (Ed). 1984. Moers: Steiger. Page 115.)."

Best

Keith