Yeah, I agree with you. Although in my country Colombia, there is a blooming industry of ethanol, with participation of obviously the sugar industry behind on one side, and the biodiesel industry on the other that is also staring to emerge. Today at the pump you get ethanol mixed with gasoline, while it will be until 2008 that biodiesel in a 5% blend initially will be found at the diesel pump.

Lot of palm oil producers (and croppers) want to develop this, and things are very advanced. I would like to be a part of it, the thing is that they are into building 3 very large plants to run economies of scale which leaves mid and small sized producers out of the game, you know?

I am young (24) but I am very aware of the great shift we are living, and I am looking forward into every possible opportunity of energy that can be developed. From wind turbines in Scotland, solar panels in China, ethanol in Brazil, etc. Itwould be nice to be a part of it, leaving Big Oil in a tight situation. the thing is, they have so much cash today (Exxon made 36 billion USD in net profits last year), that they should be able to get into all this new areas - specifically the ones that relate to fossil fuels.

They're the wrong shape for the future. These days a lot of people are acknowledging the need for decentralised, distributed energy production, whether of power or fuel, not just us. Even the US army's saying so.

"... the military needs to take major steps to increase energy efficiency, make a "massive expansion" in renewable energy purchases, and move toward a vast increase in renewable distributed generation, including photovoltaic, solar thermal, microturbines, and biomass energy sources." - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Oil shortage threatens military - USNews.com: Nation & World http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/060315/15natsec.htm

Energy Trends - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (PDF)
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/graphics/ace060315.pdf

Cheer up Luis, the future belongs to you, not ExxonMobil, even if they have megabillions and you don't.

http://www.ExxposeExxon.com/
Exxpose Exxon | Home

You might enjoy reading this::

"How much fuel can we grow? How much land will it take?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html#howmuch

Best regards,
Luis.

Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

Luis,

It is only around a year ago, that we established
that biofuels would be competitive with an oil
price of $35 to $40 a barrel, especially
biodiesel. At the current levels over $70 a
barrel, biofuels are cheaper than oil. Everybody
expect that it will stay on this level and even go higher.

The elements are there, for a very rapid growth
in making biofuels and with current competitive
advantage it will not go slowly. The question is
not fuel dominance, but industry dominance. I
hope that we will see a far more diversified
energy industry as a result of the situation, now
that the startup barrier has been lowered so
much. A more diversified industry, with small to
mid size producers, will have the opportunity to
move very fast and the large traditional oil
companies can not. The only thing the large
industries can do, is to build barriers with help
from politicians and with safety concerns as
excuse. In an energy crises this will not be
successful, because it assumes that they have more time to move.

Hakan