Howdy Joe, don't stop with IR, you want to absorb all wavelengths- there
is more energy available in the visible/UV than the IR.  Any flat black
material will absorb all wavelengths (not counting high energy stuff
like gamma rays). what you need is a material which not only absorbs,
but also conducts the heat absorbed rather than radiating it away in the
IR.  (Wein's displacement)

Joe Street wrote:
> Do you have any information on IR absorption of common black materials,
> ie flat black paint types which are resonably good?  I plan to do
> something with it one day but would like to make something myself of
> reasonable efficiency rather than buying a turnkey solution.
>
> Joe
>
> Hakan Falk wrote:
>> Joe,
>>
>> In Israel you will see the same, but with efficient solar panels
>> built together with an insulated storage. It is however an enormous
>> difference in efficiency. The black cisterns have a very low
>> efficiency and you can only collect some warm water at the end of
>> sunny days. The main functionality of cisterns on the roof, is to
>> give distribution pressure. It is also very large differences in the
>> coloring methods, what is looking black to us, can have very
>> different absorption factors. A Swedish company is the market leader
>> in delivering the solar collection elements for solar panels. They
>> deliver them in rolls of double black colored copper sheets.  Before
>> mounting they are cut to size and pressurized to form the space for
>> water passage. Efficient solar panel construction was researched
>> around 40 years ago in Almeria, Spain,  a joint project between
>> technical universities of Sweden and Spain. The Swedish part was
>> managed by prof. Folke Petterson, KTH, who also used some simulation
>> work with the energy transmission program that we have.
>>
>> Hakan
>>
>> At 00:40 28/04/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>> Almost every house and building has a big black cistern on the
>>> roof.  The are everywhere you look.
>>>
>>> Joe

>>> messages):
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman