Joe,
Funny you mention the satellite dish.  I am gathering materials to
build a small satellite dish solar concentrator.  I am going to glue
mylar to the surface of the dish and have a black pipe at the focal
point to heat the working liquid.  My guess is I'll have to figure out
how to regulate flow and track the sun very well.

What's the best source for a sun tracker?

On 4/28/06, Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Several years ago a guy up the street was out on a sunny day with a plastic
> fesnel lens that was about a meter long and 2/3 meter wide and he and his
> son were focusing the sun on about a 10cm sized spot on some asphault he had
> added to the end of his driveway.  The asphault was smoking.  I grabbed a
> twig and put it on the concrete curb stone and asked him to put the sun on
> it. He moved the spot to it and it burst into flame in a second!  I have
> heard of people getting surplus C-band satellite dishes (the big ones) and
> glueing little peices of broken mirrors to the dish and putting a heat
> exchanger up at the dishes feedpoint.  It needs to be aimed at the sun but
> it would be very powerful and dead cheap!
>
>  Joe
>

>  Thomas Kelly wrote:
>
>  Thanks Todd.
>  It must have been 25 years ago that a friend was going to prepare
> lunch in a "solar oven". The idea appealed to me at the time, but on a warm
> sunny day we watched and waited, and ended up having to fire up the grill.
>  Solar ovens have apparently come a long way since then or you wouldn't
> be recommending them for regenerating zeolytes.
>  I just Googled "Solar Oven". Something about solar cooking still
> appeals to me, but I remain skeptical. In one part of a web page it says
> they "quickly heat up to 360 -400F". In another part of the same site it
> says Superior Cooking is due to the "slow even rise in temp." It's that slow
> rise in temp that concerns me.
>  Are you referring to the same solar ovens (under $200 US) that can be
> used to cook food (and do they really work?) or is there some other, high
> tech version?
>  Tom

Thanks,
PC

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch

We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything. - Thomas A Edison