Hello Thomas and all,

Temperatures above 65 C. are generally considerred to be limiting in that they tend to kill off large groups of microorganisms and slow down the composting process. I suggest turning the pile when temperatures get that high or you will pasturize the pile and need to regrow your biomass once the pile cools down. Large compost piles (usually in a curing/storage stage) have been known to catch on fire if permitted to dry out too much because they had not finished degrading bug edible material.

Tom Irwin

Snip

48 hours later the temp of the pile was 160F (71C)!!!. This wasn't the center of the pile, but rather 12 inches in. I took readings at 4 places.
          Are there any negatives to achieving such high temps(160F or more)?
     Snip