Keith Addison suggested that this discussion topic is an annual as the
burning of topic, I just can't recall that, or if my following comments
may have been said by others.  Like Keith and others, I have observed
that fire can be beneficial for the prairie, but those same observations
also show that fires do not occur annually on a natural basis in all
areas.  I have also read that the indigenous Plains population started
fires to aid in hunting Bison.  I would think that that practice was in
tune with the herds seasonal(annual) migration, could there be a chance
that the fire use practice of the Plains people, was more about
harvesting animals than is was about land stewardship?

The reality is that where I live on the High Plains, that even during a
drought naturally started fire is a rare event.  Years perhaps decades
pass before fire naturally starts the same area.  I have to conclude the
practice of seasonal burning both by the Indians and descendants of
Europeans is more about getting things done on man's schedule not
nature's.  Personally I think man has interfered enough, long enough, we
can't fully understand the role of fire in Earth's evolution.
--
Doug, N0LKK
Kansas USA