Hello Aaron

>Hello everyone,
>
>I just recently joined the mailing list after finishing the processing
>of my first test batch.  I used the 1L test batch method listed on JTF
>using ~85% KOH, Dri-Gas, and new VO from the supermarket.  I stir washed
>it until the wash water and biodiesel appeared crystal clear.  I dried
>the biodiesel by heating it to 130degrees F and then letting it cool.
>The final product looks good from what I have compared it to on JTF.
>
>I plan to do a few test batches with the new VO and then a few test
>batches using WVO.  Before I do another test batch I wanted to quantify
>my results by testing it.  I'm a senior computer/electrical engineering
>attending the University of Massachusetts in Dartmouth.  I'm no chemist
>by any means but I know a couple people in the Chem department and I'm
>pretty sure they have an NIR machine.
>
>I was wondering how skilled a person would need to be in NIR testing to
>be able to test the biodiesel and tell me how it matches up against the
>US ASTM spec and the German DIN spec.  Would I be better off sending a
>sample to an experienced lab?  If anyone has experience sending samples
>out, are there any labs you'd recommend?  How costly is the testing?

Well, there's no need to go to all that trouble, NIR is overkill. You
don't say if you checked your first batch with the prescribed quality
control tests. This is the sixth step in making your first test batch:

6. Quality
Proceed to the wash-test to check the quality. If your biodiesel
doesn't pass the test, here's what to do next.

wash-test
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#quality

here's what to do next
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_vehicle.html#whatdo

Please see these Gas Chromatograph test results:

http://snipurl.com/pie8
[Biofuel] Biodiesel test results

"So this is what you can achieve by using the quality tests at the
Journey to Forever website Biodiesel section to guide your
processing... it's further confirmation that the backyard brewers'
cheapo kitchen-sink quality tests will indeed guide you to a
high-quality product, and that the one-step-at-a-time learning path
is the way to go."

>Thanks in advance.  After watching this mailing list for a few days I
>have to say I'm very impressed with how active the biofuels community is.

:-) It's kind of wide-ranging, but it all fits.

HTH.

Best

Keith