< http://snipurl.com/rrp1 >

<
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-rove13jun13,0,6998893.story?coll=la-home-headlines

EPA Rule Loosened After Oil Chief's Letter to Rove

The White House says the executive's appeal had no role
 in changing a measure to protect groundwater. Critics
call it a political payoff.
By Tom Hamburger and Peter Wallsten, Times Staff Writers
June 13, 2006

WASHINGTON — A rule designed by the Environmental Protection
 Agency to keep groundwater clean near oil drilling sites
 and other construction zones was loosened after White
House officials rejected it amid complaints by energy
companies that it was too restrictive and after a
well-connected Texas oil executive appealed to White
 House senior advisor Karl Rove.

The new rule, which took effect Monday, came after years
 of intense industry pressure, including court battles
 and behind-the-scenes agency lobbying. But environmentalists
 vowed Monday that the fight was not over, distributing
 internal White House documents that they said portrayed
 the new rule as a political payoff to an industry long
 aligned with the Republican Party and President Bush.
In 2002, a Texas oilman and longtime Republican activist,
 Ernest Angelo, wrote a letter to Rove complaining that
 an early version of the rule was causing many in the oil
 industry to "openly express doubt as to the merit of
electing Republicans when we wind up with this type of
 stupidity."

Rove responded by forwarding the letter to top White House
 environmental advisors and scrawling a handwritten note
 directing an aide to talk to those advisors and "get a
response ASAP."

Rove later wrote to Angelo, assuring him that there was
 a "keen awareness" within the administration of addressing
 not only environmental issues but also the "economic,
energy and small business impacts" of the rule.

Environmentalists pointed to the Rove correspondence as
 evidence that the Bush White House, more than others,
 has mixed politics with policy decisions that are
traditionally left to scientists and career regulators.
 At the time, Rove oversaw the White House political
 office and was directing strategy for the 2002 midterm
 elections.

Angelo had been mayor of Midland, Texas, when Bush ran
 an oil firm there. He is also a longtime hunting partner
 of Rove's. The two men first worked together when Angelo
 managed Ronald Reagan's 1980 presidential campaign in Texas.

In an interview Monday, Angelo welcomed the new groundwater
 rule and said his letter might have made a difference in
 how it was written. But he waved off environmentalists'
questions about Rove's involvement.

"I'm sure that his forwarding my letter to people that
were in charge of it might have had some impression on
them," Angelo said. "It seems to me that it was a totally
 proper thing to do. I can't see why anybody's upset about
 it, except of course that it was effective."

Asked why he wrote to Rove and not the Environmental Protection
 Agency or to some other official more directly associated
 with the matter, Angelo replied: "Karl and I have been
close friends for 25 years. So, why wouldn't I write to him?
 He's the guy I know best in the administration."

White House spokesmen said Monday that the rule was revised
 as part of the federal government's standard rule-making
 process. They said the EPA was simply directed by White
 House budget officials to make the rule comply with
requirements laid out by Congress in a sweeping new energy
 law passed last year.

The issue has been a focus of lobbying by the oil and gas
 industry for years, ever since Clinton administration
regulators first announced their intent to require special
 EPA permits for construction sites smaller than five acres,
 including oil and gas drilling sites, as a way to discourage
 water pollution.

Energy executives, who have long complained of being stifled
 by federal regulations limiting drilling and exploration,
 sought and received a delay in that permit requirement in
 2003. Eventually, Congress granted a permanent exemption
 that was written into the 2005 energy legislation.

The EPA rule issued Monday adds fine print to that broad
 exception in ways that critics, including six members of
 the Senate, say exceeds what Congress intended.

For example, the new rule generally exempts sediment —
pieces of dirt and other particles that can gum up otherwise
 clear streams — from regulations governing runoff that may
 flow from oil and gas production or construction sites.

Sen. James M. Jeffords (I-Vt.), who joined five Democrats
 in objecting to the rule, wrote in March that there was
nothing in the energy law suggesting that such an exclusion
 of sediment "had even entered the mind of any member of
 Congress as it considered the Energy Policy Act of 2005."
 Moreover, Jeffords wrote, the rule violated the intentions
 of Congress when it passed the Clean Water Act 19 years ago.

White House and administration officials disagreed.

At the EPA, Assistant Administrator Benjamin H. Grumbles
 said the rule responded directly to congressional action.
 He cited a letter from Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.),
chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee,
 endorsing it. He added that the rule still allows states
 to regulate pollution, and that it continues to regulate
sediment that contains "toxic" ingredients.

Lisa Miller, a spokeswoman for another senior lawmaker,
Rep. Joe L. Barton (R-Texas), chairman of the House Energy
 and Commerce Committee, said Monday that the rule was
designed to hold oil companies accountable for putting
toxic substances in the soil, but not for dirt that results
 from storms.

"When it rains, storm water gets muddy, regardless of
whether there's an oil well in the neighborhood," Miller
 said. "Congress told EPA to do this, and now they have.
 If there's oil in the water, a producer has to clean it
 up. If it's nature, they don't."

< http://snipurl.com/rrp1 >

Get your daily alternative energy news

Alternate Energy Resource Network