for "back of the envelope" accuracy,

whether fat or oil, to two significant digits one can estimate the molecular wt
of the oil to be
about 900 (slightly high) and the density is about .9 so the fat/oil contains
about one mole per
liter, therefore one mole of glycerin is present.  The molecular wt is 94 so
you would get about 94
grams of glycerin from a liter of fat/oil. The density is about 1 so you would
get about 94 ml per
liter of oil.

chem.dd wrote:
> You have asked a very good question, First of all one has to know the length
> of the fatty acid carbon chain connected to the glyceride of the fat that
> you are processing (i.e. oleic, lineolaic,palmatic, etc.)  Then you ratio
> the molar weight of the of the fatty acid components to the glycerol. This
> will give you a molar % of fatty acid to glycerol. Based on this ratio you
> can calculate the theoretical yield of fatty acid vs. glycerine. More to
> come.
> David

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman