Allow me to comment(underscoring what Bob said) the reason water and CO2
is pumped into producing formations is to extract MORE oil from from the
formation, not replace it, enhanced recovery they call it.  Jeff, I
suspect the Texan was telling you a tall tale and later joked with his
buddies what he told to nosy person.  I don't mean any disrespect, but
hell, they don't pass an opportunity's to pull one on their buddies, the
rest of the world doesn't stand a chance ;)  There have been sinkholes
attributed to oil production.  Generally the cause is "wash out" of an
area closer to the surface than the collapse of an oil formation several
thousand feet down. Anyway removing CO2  from the atmosphere and pumping
into a producing formation will not sequester  it.  As Bob mention
porosity is a key feature of producing formations.  Sooner or later the
CO2 will migrate to a well bore and re-enter the atmosphere when the oil
it associated with it is processed. As Terry mentions locking the Co2 in
played out capped formations can't be totally safe.  Natural Gas stored
in old salt mines, years old practice, near Hutchison, KS did find a way
out and cause some fires.
Doug, N0LKK
Kansas USA inc.