Todd,
     Thanks for the reply.
     If I understand you correctly, a reasonable strategy is to start at
lower blends, largely due to limited production (& demand?). Subsidies and a
premium added to blends help to make production profitable. As profit
stimulates production, blends can be increased to B-50, even B-75.
     The lower blends also help establish a comfort level with consumers &
allow manufacturers of diesel engines, pumps, etc. to test their equipment
on various blends of BD.

I admit I'm still a bit baffled by the subsidies:

"B) Taking existing inventory of B-100 and dilluting it, to let's say 10%,
allows the blender to net the entire subsidy plus charge a premium of
several cents per gallon for the blended fuel. If that premium is  $0.05 per
gallon, this amounts to $0.50 on top of the subsidy dollar, or  fifty cents
if WVO is the parent stock."

Lower blends result in higher profits?
1 gal B-100  --->  10 gal B-10 blend.
     The subsidy doesn't change by lowering the blend. The increased profit
comes from the premium charges on the blend (regardless of % BD). Ex.  5
cents on 10 gal rather than on just 1gal.  Have I got it right?

    Won't subidies, as they now exist, and the premium that can be charged
on top of the subsidies actually discourage higher blending?

     I'm impatient. I started making BD largely because of concerns about
CO2 emissions. The idea was to make it until it becomes available; then I'll
buy it. Now I want it to be made locally .....  I want it to be a part of an
energy strategy that includes diversification and starts with conservation.
I don't see how my demands for the commercial product will fit, given their
track record, with the philosophy of the powers that control fuel blending
and distribution.
     Is there really any hope for commercially produced BD to become
available w/o involving the big oil companies in its blending and
distribution?  ... sort of like the local bakery, corner deli, diner or
restaurant, local vegs in the local family-owned market,  rather than
WalMarts, franchises and fast food  ... can  locally produced biodiesel be
part of our future, or should I plan on making my own forever?
     I continue to write to my elected representatives and appreciate your
help in understanding the economics of BD from a commercial production view.
Additions/corrections are always appreciated.
                    Thanks again,
                             Tom