Hi,

Recently I've came through problems with testing a cheap virgin oil
in my test processor which every time ended up with incomplete reactions
(emulsion problems). I did make the process longer (2 hours) and at
higher temperature (60-63 degC) - still nothing, though by product
separation is very nice.

Today, I tried to titrate the oil and - to my surprise - it took 0.925ml
of KOH solution. This was my first experience with titration, so I can
also tell that the phenolophtalein solution turned pale (but noticable)
magenta for about 15 secs (as described at JtF) after 0.925ml. After
adding 1.05ml the colour got more intensive for longer time.

My main question is - is it normal in case of cheap oils ?
I suppose they contain (as other oils) some amount of FFAs, but so much ?

Additional matter is whether I got titration right. I mean, interpreting
the colours.

I'm running out of ideas what could be wrong in the process, so any
help is appreciated.

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.iit.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org