From: Joe Street
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Water content - was tirating a virgin oil

Jan;

Further to my post from yesterday regarding the 0.5% water in oil as a limit;  I am assuming that this percentage relies on fairly anhydrous methoxide, and therefore is the maximum water that the process can tolerate. Is this a safe assumption?  And if so would it be safe then to assume that if the oil is very dry the same absolute amount of water could be present in another source?  I am asking because I am working on methanol recovery now.  I can dry my oil quite well with vacuum and heat but recovered methanol always has significant water.  If I assume methanol is added at 20% of oil volume then the same absolute volume of water present in the methanol can be 5 times higher i.e. 2.5% instread of 0.5% of oil volume?  Is this correct?  If so then I need only dry my methanol to 97.5% to get good results with very dry oil.  I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I have purchased a hydrometer in the 0.790 to 0.900 range so that I can test the water content of recovered methanol.  The hydrometer is calibrated for 15 degrees C which is cooler than room temperature.  Also there is the problem that if I add 50 ml methanol and 50 ml water I don't get 100 ml of liquid!  Rather than try to compensate the readings what I have decided to do is start with pure methanol and add small amounts of water and record the readings at room temperature to produce my own table based on percentages by volume.  I will post these results so that others can benefit from it.  My first test which was a mixture of methanol recovered from fuel mixed with methanol recovered from glycerin cocktail measured 0.813 at RT.  That's a lot of water.  Sigh.

Stay tuned for more.

Joe

Jan Warnqvist wrote:
Hello Emre, Rafal et al.
I have to say that I partially disagree with some of your statements. The
limit of FFA for a flawless trans-esterification is drawn at 5mg KOH/g of
oil. Any value above will demand pre-treatment of the oil. It is always
important to check the water content, which should be below 0,5%. Try to get
hold of a water-in-oil test kit for quick determination.
If we are talking about the EN standard, it is always necessary to process
the oil/catalyst/methanol mix for 90 minutes to obtain the right values for
tri- di- and monoglycerides. And - this assumes that you have correct
stochiometric conditions and no methanol losses during processing.
As for the phophatides and the chlorophyll compounds, my experience is that
these are not very important for the processing result, unless the values of
these are extremely high (thousands of ppms). If so, the oil is usually very
dark. Totally refined oil, on the other hand, may have preservatives added,
and some of these will eat catalyst. So, good oil quality is a tricky thing.
Best of luck to you !
Jan Warnqvist
AGERATEC AB

+ 46 554 201 89