Howdy Bob,

Bob Molloy wrote:
> A bit late to come into this thread but I found it intriguing enough to
> mention Jared Diamond's excellent book, "Guns, Germs and Steel",  on
> just this topic. The sub-title is "A Short History of Everybody for the
> last 13,000 Years". Diamond is an interesting character, formerly Prof.
> of Physiology at UCLA Medical School he later made major contributions
> to ecology and the study of evolutionary biology and is currently Prof.
> of Geography and Environmental Health Sciences at UCLA.
> He addresses the question of why certain populations appear to achieve
> while others don't, including the very pertinent point that the
> term "achievement" is value loaded.
> It would be nonsensical to attempt a synopsis of his book in a sentence
> or two but he builds a good case for the determinants of achievement in
> terms of climate, soil conditions, availability of water, fauna and
> flora plus a few accidents of history and sheer bad luck such as the
> thriving colony of early Norsemen in Greenland who got wiped out by a
> mini Ice Age that nobody saw coming,

It was more than bad luck, as Diamond pointed out in his next book
"Collapse"  The failure of the Norse society on Greenland was due not
only to climatic cooling but more so due to failure to adapt.  The
native Inuit survived just fine during this period, but the Norse
refused to change their ways- and were thus doomed.

and the Australian aborigines who

Bob Allen,http://ozarker.org/bob