Walking around at the snowmobile expo in Jyväskylä, Finland
yesterday, a Lynx Yeti 1300 caught my eye. Great work sled, yes, but
what I really was looking at were the 2 scuba tank type bottles
peeking out from under the seat. This wasn't NOS, I was sure.  Later
on I had the privilidge to talk to Gasum's Arto Riikonen, the man with
answers to my questions.
   What I was looking at, as it happened, was a methane powered sled!
This was apparently one of four prototypes in Finland.  The tanks
capable of storing 5 kg of methane at 200 bar, the equivalent of 7.6
liters of gasoline, the sled had a range of 50-60km on gas.  Being
bi-fuel equipped, the full stock range on gasoline was also available
on demand, the only drawback being the extra 35 kg brought on by the
tanks. It doesn't sound like much, but it is when you're stuck by
yourself in deep powder. Targeted at ski resorts and grooming trails
for the pickiest of cross country skiers, this wasn't a practical
snowmobile for personal use, but one that was clean burning and
wouldn't cause problems in crowds with it's emissions.  Having been
around traditional carburated 2-stroke sleds my whole life, I can
hardly understand anyone complaining about the injected 4-stroke V-2
engine on the Yeti on gasoline, even if it has no catalytic converter,
but a great idea never the less.  Although intended for natural gas, I
can imagine most of y'all thinking, as was I, can anyone say "biogas?"
   The technical stuff : high pressure gas was routed to an engine
coolant heated pressure regulator, pressure dropped to 2.5 bar for the
injectors, controlled by the ECU. I didn't get an answer to wether it
uses the stock ECU or if there's another black box for use with
methane, but I'll follow up on it. The principle is the same as EFI,
the injectors are different to be suitable for gas, but being a
stoichiometric burn engine on methane, the lambda sensor was common
and its use identical, so I see no problems with just routing the
injector signal to whichever fuel is in use, just adjust the injector
or pressure.
   The engine is started and warmed up on gasoline to provide warm
coolant for vaporization, which could otherwise be problematic in
subzero temperatures (when else do you operate snowmobiles?), unless
it's preheated by grid power like cars in wintertime.
   In general about methane use, apparently ignition can be a problem,
since the catalytic converter can only take so much misfire in
operation and methane is harder to light. This requires higher voltage
ignition which takes its toll on spark plugs, which either need to be
changed often or switched to iridium spark plugs. Not the NGK's that
cost 5-10 times as much, but apparently about 50 times as much.  This
isn't a problem with non-catalyzed exhaust, like the snowmobile.
Methane does apparently require a catalytic converter to meet the same
emission requirements as modern gasoline engines, it's still not THAT
clean, so for new cars, it's a must. Cylinder head temperatures also
rise due to lost burning efficiency, which lead to faster warm up time
and a greater chance of overheat in hot weather.  Although generally
not a problem in snowmobiles, natural gas busses take this into
consideration with larger radiators. It is possible to raise
compression to take advantage of methane's higher octane rating, but
this eliminates the possibility for use with gasoline.
   He mentioned that the methane needs to be at least 95% pure for
compression to 200+ bar, which wouldn't be a problem for a biogas home
brewer bottling it at lower pressure, but complicates its commercial
use.  In snowmobile use high pressure is a must because of limited
storage space and way high fuel consumption.  The absence of CNG fuel
stations out in the boonies up north really does turn one back to
liquid fuels in personal use.
   I'm planning on bugging this guy some more via e-mail, and he
offered to send some more material.

www.gasum.com is the company behind the prototype

http://www.brp.com/en/Products/Lynx/Showroom/Yetiv1300.htm  the sled
it was made from