Hey Tom et al;

I think I might have a new solution for our woes re. re-use of
methanol.  Rather than trying to dry it for re-use in making BD we might
be able to just use it for fuel.  This local dude who is way into
performance diesels comes into my place last night to talk about BD
production and when I start talking about recovered methanol he suggests
spraying it into the air intake on the diesel engine.  Apparently he
pioneered this idea years ago and now it is common among the tractor
pull crowd. It can have high water content with no problem, in fact he
says they sometimes intentionally add water to methanol when using this
technique to avoid overfueling the engine and yet still getting the
cooling effect that they need when they go for more power and EGT shoots
up to 1500 deg or more.  It sounds dead simple to add a spray nozzle to
the air intake and use the recovered methanol for an occasional power
boost.  He says it can easily give a 25% power increase. Another plus -
you know how they describe on the TDI club pages about how to take the
intake manifold off and clean all the black crap out so the engine
breathes again?  Methanol spray does this for you without taking
anything apart. Sweet!  I am looking for the downside to this idea.  Can
anyone here think of a reason this might be a bad idea?

Joe