This is a direct quote from a Metalurgical Engineer I know.  I am speaking
from experience with another fellows reactor - 2 years old and still going -
most tanks will be 5xxx series but again - I advocate - TEST IT.  I dont
advocate this as a desired Choice of materials but PE instead.

Jim

"5XXX series aluminums have good corrosion properties and form a passive
layer faster than some of the other series aluminums. They contain magnesium
alloying which is a good property for corrosion and ship halls are usually
made from 5XXX series aluminums. To keep the aluminum from corroding, do not
have the aluminum touching other metals because the aluminum will start
acting as an anode and be sacrificed to protect the other metals. Your
operating temperatures are also variable which increase your rate of
reactions for corrosion. Your operating temperatures may not be interfering
with the passive layering process on the aluminum and the passive layer is
protecting the aluminum like it should. Other processes may have more
particulates in the solution being processed which causes erosion corrosion
and then the passive layer is being removed faster than it can heal if there
is mixing going on in the tank; making aluminum tanks a bad idea for storing
their solutions. I need some more back ground information to get down to the
nuts and bolts on both questions.

Methanol, CH3OH, OH- is looking for a positively charged ion other than the
carbon atom. So the iron from the steel bonds with OH- ion due to the
activity rates at a thermodynamic level and corrodes the steel. Methanol is
relatively reactive solution, you can tell by the flammability signs on the
barrels from shipment so that is why most of the methanol that is shipped
these days is in polyurethane-ethylene tanks and most of the steel barrels
all leak."