>Chip Melford asked: "So, how does tweaking a substance protected by patent
>.....achieve anything other than broken law or five or more?
>
>The answer was there in the original post:
>
>Quote:
>    The potential benefits and geopolitical implications of this approach
>are almost limitless. Imagine a world where the most downtrodden can be
>rescued from the ravages of chronic disease that now beset them, generation
>after generation. A world where they don't droop and languish, where their
>energies are not consumed and exhausted in the struggle for survival. A
>world where their children are born to healthy mothers, with all the proven
>advantages for future development, both physically and mentally, that such a
>birth provides. Imagine a world where the preventable deaths and epidemics
>that break down societal bonds, devastate communities, cripple local
>economies, destroy families and make any kind of political action almost
>impossible are a thing of the past.
>Unquote.

Health is not just the absence of disease, or the product of better
pills, or any pills. It's not so much rampant disease that the most
downtrodden are most trodden down by but poverty, which isn't cured
by pills. The dieases of poverty are a subset, not a cause. Poverty
isn't just happenstance (or incompetence), it's a function of  an
inequitable world economic system, not just a by-product but an
integral part of the resource extraction and wealth concentration of
the corporate-style globanomics that has seen all the poor countries
getting poorer in the last 20 years. Eg.:

http://www.cepr.net/globalization/scorecard_on_globalization.htm
The Scorecard on Globalization 1980-2000 - Twenty Years of Diminished Progress
By Mark Weisbrot, Dean Baker, Egor Kraev and Judy Chen  July 11, 2001

Similarly with food:

http://snipurl.com/rcij
[Biofuel] Bushfood

http://snipurl.com/rcik
[Biofuel] Myth: More US aid will help the hungry

http://snipurl.com/rcim
Re: [Biofuel] US Foreign aid
Food Dumping [Aid] Maintains Poverty

http://snipurl.com/rcig
[Biofuel] The US and Foreign Aid Assistance

http://snipurl.com/rcih
[Biofuel] Famines as Commercial Opportunity

http://snipurl.com/rcii
[Biofuel] Famine As Commerce

http://snipurl.com/rcin
[Biofuel] Inequality in wealth

Nearly three billion people live on less than $2 a day, a miserable
figure that doesn't begin to tell the story. Rushing in with pills to
cure their ills is a well-known no-no among development workers who
work with Primary Health Care. A term used in PHC is "deferred
mortality". Sounds good eh? Death postponed. An example would be
using antibiotics to cure a child of a disease only for the child to
die of starvation a year later. That's not to say that there aren't
cases where using modern drugs might be appropriate, but it needs a
systems approach, not a silver bullet.

Anyway the very poor would probably be the last to receive any such
benefits, if ever.

The title of the article is better, "Shakeup for Big Pharm". If this
approach hurts the big pharmaceutical companies and helps to loosen
the corporate grip on patenting and intellectual property rights it
will probably have done the poor more good than the pills ever will.
Everyone, not just the poor.

All best

Keith