Hi Dave, thankyou, interesting web page.

>Keith,
>   I caught this thread late and have not read all the replies..
>however, my dad used to trap predatory birds as part of a program to
>protect engendered species.  His basic trap was a tall pole with a
>regular steel jaw trap on top.  This pole is placed in a large open
>space and birds that are flying by are inclined to perch in it.
>
>A while back, I was studying up on a local native tribe in my area
>and came across this:
>http://www.geocities.com/aliciainelpaso/snaresntraps.htm
>
>Scroll down to the Ojibwa bird pole.  Its rather clever.

Yes it is. The last sentence sort of jolted me though: "If the weight
is too heavy, it will cut the bird's feet off, allowing it to
escape." :-(

Also it talks of "the targeted species", but it doesn't seem to be
very targeted - birds sit on poles, targeted or not.

I guess these things don't matter if you're trapping for the pot though.

>And, if you have any stray rabbits you'd like to eat.. there are
>some other snares you can build.  lol

Thanks again Dave, I learnt a lot from that.

Best

Keith