Hi Dawie

>Keith
>
>#3 goes without saying ...

It can't be said often enough, IMHO.

>Strictly speaking, nobody has any business invading the countryside
>unless they are bona-fide farmers or bona-fide hermits.

Just as long as you know your place. But then that wouldn't be
invasive would it. We're part of it, it's part of us.

>I am neither, so my efforts are directed to developing a better
>pattern of urban living. The key is that it must be entirely
>different from a rural settlement pattern:

I don't think there's any clear cut-off point between the two.

>the model layout for 20 cottages won't work if their occupants don't farm.

It will work if they garden, or even if only a few of them garden.
Actually it can work even if none of them garden.

You can't confine composting to farmers, that's just not so. A very
great deal of composting is done in cities, in all shapes and sizes.

>Indeed, the fact that the prevalent urban form seeks to maintain the
>illusion of rural settlement is a major contributor to the problem.

I guess it depends where you're looking. Of course there are places
where that applies, but I don't think there's such a dichotomy in
general, more like a grey area. In many parts of the world (more and
more) much or even most of the food people eat is grown by city
farms, with either very little land (like allotments) or no land
(rooftop gardens, container gardens), including poultry, and in many
cases the city farms play a major role in waste recycling. It fits
well, but the authorities don't like it (of course).

Best

Keith