>It's from Central America.  The Portuguese and Arabs spread it all
>over world by the end of the 16th century.  It was prized for soap
>and perfume production.  The Southern US is it's  northern most
>range.  It's used for de-desertfication and it is inter cropped with
>food crops.  So, third world farmers, reclaim farmland, use it a
>nitrogen fertilizer,  make biodiesel and use the fuel for
>electrification and water pumping.   See
><http://www.d1plc.com/index.php><http://www.d1plc.com/index.php>
>for more details.

http://www.d1plc.com/aboutSustainable.php
D1 Oils - Sustainable development

>Our primary biodiesel feedstock, Jatropha curcas, grows on
>non-arable, marginal and waste land. It need not compete with vital
>food crops for good agricultural land.
>
>We are committed to the sustainable planting, harvesting and
>refining of jatropha and other commercial energy crops.

"Sustainable development" does not result from the "best crop/best
technology" approach.

Export cropping has not been shown to benefit local communities in
poor countries, quite the opposite, and export of biofuels to distant
markets is not something that will survive the carbon economy. Local
production, local use.

This is how sustainable development works:

http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
Community development

http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development - poverty and hunger

D1 Oils says: "Rural poverty and unemployment are huge problems in
the developing world, and energy crops offer the scale to impact
poverty through providing farming jobs and rejuvenating agriculture
and the communities that depend upon it."

How involved were the local communities themselves in devising this
scheme and choosing jatropha? Did DI Oils ask them yet?

How do D1 Oils and their scheme differ from the plantation economies
of the colonial era, if at all? Why would the results be any
different?

Best

Keith