plan such a good idea? By Pat Thomas
Date:01/03/2007         Author:Pat Thomas

There is an old saying: If something sounds too good to be true, it
probably is.

In the current scramble to face up to the realities of climate change
and the current peak oil demand, pundits on both sides of the
ecological debate have embraced the concept of biofuels - renewable
fuels derived from vegetable matter - as an effective solution to the
impending global crisis.

The theory seems simple enough. By burning plant-derived energy we
are burning a carbon-neutral fuel, because the CO2 released through
combustion of plant fuels is equal to what the plant took out of the
atmosphere in the first place.

But the science is far from complete, the energy savings far from
convincing and, although many see biofuels as a way to avoid the kind
of resource wars currently raging in the Middle East and elsewhere,
going down that road may in the end provoke a wider series of
resource wars - this time over food, water and habitable land.

The scale of Bush's and others enthusiasm for biofuels, seems, once
one knows the details, to make little sense. Except perhaps as one of
the biggest global investment opportunities in decades.

Currently politicians, global food and fuel corporations and biotech
companies are all vying for position. The pieces are shifting so
radically and so quickly on the global chessboard that food
multinationals like Unilever, fearful of a marketplace that pits food
against fuel, now find themselves using words like 'deforestation'
and 'sustainable farming' and rubbing shoulders with non-governmental
organisations who have been so critical of them in the past.

To make the numbers work, the biofuels industry is being propped up
by substantial discounts in fuel duties, tax breaks and subsidies,
import bans and the government mandates to implement them. Without
these, biofuels - particularly the first-generation biofuels,
bioethanol and biodiesel - would never find their way to the
forecourt.

Simply replacing our fossil fuels with biofuels, however, misses the
point: it is not the world's ability to supply us with energy that is
the problem, but our inability to know when to stop consuming. To
solve this we need to look carefully at our total energy landscape:
how we use our cars, how we heat our homes and how we design our
houses, flats and public buildings, how we plan our communities, how
and where we grow our food, the 'environmental footprints' of all the
things we consume. Without attention to these details the energy
crisis will only deepen.

In conceiving real solutions we need to be able to look to models of
genuine sustainability - many of which exist on the local scale -
rather than those that promote the illusion of sustainability at a
national or global level. Brazil is a good example of this illusion.
Biofuel enthusiasts often point to that country as a model for all
that is good about the biofuel revolution. Yet Brazil is a troubled
country.

Its sugar-cane industry is built on the back of slavery and low
wages. It is now converting half of its sugar harvest into bioethanol
and, while 40 per cent of Brazil's cars may be running on this fuel
(the figures are not at all clear, since many ordinary people have
switched back to petrol as the market price for bioethanol there has
risen), the country's rich and diverse landscape is rapidly being
ploughed under to make way for more plantations, which will produce
more ethanol for home and export markets. These days, 80 per cent of
Brazil's greenhouse gas emissions come not from cars but from
deforestation.

In the articles that follow, The Ecologist examines the biofuels
phenomenon from a range of different perspectives, including those of
farmers, car manufacturers and conservationists. We tackle the myths
that fuel the current fervour for biofuels, the GM agenda behind
their promotion and propose simpler, smaller, more localised
solutions that can make a difference to the energy crisis.

What is clear is that biofuels can only ever make a smallscale
contribution to our energy demands. Jeffery Dukes, author of Burning
Buried Sunshine: the human consumption of ancient solar energy, has
calculated that, at current rates of use, we burn up four centuries'
worth of fossilised animals and plants in the forms of oil, coal and
gas. Without positive, even aggressive, efforts to reduce the world's
overall use of energy, their contribution on a global scale will be
too little and too late, and may even promote greater damage to the
environment over the long term.

Conservation and moderation are a hard sell both to industry and the
average 'consumer'. But it is clear that to avoid dealing with the
politically unpopular need to reduce fossil fuel consumption, our
leaders are throwing their weight behind expensive programmes
involving alternative fuels that distort the marketplace and are
unlikely to produce substantial benefits for decades, if in fact they
produce any benefits at all.

Pat Thomas is The Ecologist's health editor