Hello Everyone!

Although the weather around here has been warmer than it was a couple of months ago, it's still quite cool, rather cloudy and we've had a lot of rain. It's warm enough, however, to warrant "selection" of desired plants over Keith's beloved "deep rooting herbs"--a task I generally perform with my boys as kind of a family outing on late Sunday afternoons.

Two nights ago I received a phone call from an elderly friend of ours who lives in Kamloops--a city roughly three hours to the northeast. Mr. Lunan has been working with fruit trees far longer than I've been alive, and has come over to teach me how to prune and offer advice for maximizing healthy fruit production. He affirms my efforts to grow food without inputs, other than compost and compost tea, and phoned to inquire about our blossoms.

My trees have been COVERED in blossoms, but there haven't been very many bees out. Normally it's rather warm at this time of year and I can actually hear the sound of beating insect wings from inside the house. It's been too cold to warrant opening windows, so I've missed the sound, and after reading Kirk's post on vanishing bees I wondered how much fruit my trees would actually produce this year . . .

Last autumn I spread a LOT of compost around my trees. This was before my compost bin disaster occurred, so I had some decent material to work with. Now, even the sickly pink dogwood that lives in our front yard has burst with a flurry of flowering I've never seen before. Our magnolia had so many blossoms on it some of the branches actually BROKE in the wind! (And we've had a LOT of wind!)

But now the blossoms have mostly fallen off. (The apple tree in our backyard is an exception.) Mr. Lunan told me to mix a concoction of baking soda and water, with a little bit of dish soap to act as a surficant (Surfacant? If the root word is "surface," why does the spelling change? Sometimes I HATE this language!) and spray my trees as soon as the blossoms fell off. I expressed concern that this might have a negative impact on the wasp colony that feeds on my insect pests, but he said that it shouldn't be toxic to the predators.

   Hmm . . .  How can that be?

Having written this, I noticed that the plum trees and the apple have ALREADY begun suffering from pestilence. Some of the tender, new leaves are folded within the silky embrace of Archips argyrospila (a moth) nests, while other leaves have been perforated by larval feeding. My trees are probably healthier than they've ever been, but I decided to make Mr. Lunan's concoction and give it a try.

I've learned to start spraying at the bottom of the tree and work up, using a ladder, so that nothing drips on me. I heard NO bee wings, but I did see the occasional fly while I was working. In all, I used less than a liter of my homebrew insecticide and I'll be watching my trees carefully to see what happens.

On the compost front, I've taken advice from Fritz and obtained sawdust from my saintly father in law. Whenever I add something to the pile, I cover it with sawdust and put the lid back on. Last Sunday when I opened the lid to dump new kitchen scraps inside, I was rewarded with a rush of heat . . . My composter is FINALLY hot!!! So thanks for the suggestion, Fritz! It seems to be working now.

We're probably going to have to wait for planting because it's still very cold and wet. I need to get the rotovator into the main part of the garden, but it'll get stuck because the ground is still WAY too soft. For the first time in two years, I'm battling equisetum arvense in the main part of the garden. That's a pretty strong indicator that beneath the surface the soil is VERY wet. I put four blueberry bushes into the back yard near our peach trees (which are growing more vigorously than any other tree on the property!), and while digging I was pleased to discover that we've got at least 15 cm of good soil in the garden before my shovel hit the clay muck that underlies the entire lot.

   Progress is SO MUCH nicer to report than trouble!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind