  From: robert and benita rabello
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 3:55 PM
  Subject: [Biofuel] Fruit Trees

  Why is it so hard to grow fruit trees?

  I grew up in a place where oranges, avocados, lemons and grapefruit trees
thrived.  I have fond memories of climbing the mango tree in my grandmother's
back yard (this in Minas Gerais, Brasil) with my friend, Marcos, and eating
mangos until we were drenched in sweet juice and practically sick of the
flavor!  I never remember insect infestations or fruit dropping like I
experience here in BC!

  My cherry tree is losing its fruit again . . .  I've done compost, dormant
spray, crusher dust and insecticidal soap to limit pest infestation.  I've
watered this tree and carefully eliminated any competing plants from beneath
its drip line.  I've done the same for my plum trees, but most of their leaves
are withered now and they look terribly sad.  My pair of peach trees have
blistered leaves, too!

  Sigh . . .

  The rest of my garden is looking really good thus far.  But why can't I grow
decent fruit trees?

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"