  From: Joe Street
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 3:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Glycerine Settling Time

  Hi Jan;

  Ok your post agrees with what Andres said.  So how do we explain Tom's
experiment then?  To recap (Tom correct me if I miss something here) he took
washed esters that passed the methanol test and added water and (of course) no
emulsion when agitated. Whatever mono and diglycerides were in the esters were
small but present I assume, but yet no emusion. Then added some small quantity
of glycerol ( which had been separated from the soaps, FFA and salts) and
agitated again and did get an emulsion.  I have had the feeling glycerin has
usually been the cause of emulsion problems when I have had them.  No doubt a
poorly reacted batch is much more likely to have the problem but is that really
due to the glycerides or is it glycerin which hasn't settled.  Remember we
started this discussion that the glycerin settles much slower in a poorly
completed run.

  BTW as an addition to this discussion look what someone just posted on my
yahoo group!  Using glycerin cocktail to BREAK an emulsion.  Now that's
radical!!??

  http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/breakingemulsions/

  Joe

  Jan Warnqvist wrote:

Hi evereybody. I feel obliged to enter this discussion. Pure glycerine is
not a good emulsifier due to the fact that there are three OH-groups and
that the carbon s in the first  and third positions are surronded by two
hydrogene atoms. This makes the glycerine hydrophilic in five places
alltogether. However, the mono- and diglycerides are excellent emulsifiers.
Only small amounts of these are sufficient to create stable emulsions. Would
somebody agree with me on that ?

Jan Warnqvist