The puzzle is easy to solve -  you are confusing completely different
forms of solar energy:

In your first comment you mentioned "passive solar water heaters",
in connection with "most domestic hot water in Japan",
which is solar _thermal_.
I quoted the proliferation data for solar thermal water heaters in Japan,
based on the survey of the manufacturers association.

Your references 1,2,3,4,5 talk about "PV", spell photovoltaics,
which is solar _electric_.
To use photovoltaics to produce heat is inefficient thus rare.

Japan heavily subsidizes grid-connected solar electricity (not off-grid
solar electricity!) to 1) meet daytime power demand peaks which
cannot be met with nuclear power because of their constant output
and to 2) provide stable domestic income to the PV industry
so that they stay competitive in the export markets.
PV in Japan is a feel-good product that helps nuclear power
and the export business of four PV manufacturers.
The tax payer is told "this is eco", some would call it dumping.

The Tokyo Electric business plan calls for _more_
consumption of electricity in Japan in _inefficient_ areas,
i.e. invites waste instead of reducing waste.
Heating and warm water are the easiest applications
of solar thermal energy.

Yes, Japan *was* a big user of solar thermal, that is why
you can see many old solar hot water heaters
in Japan, out of use, numbers decreasing.

Oskar Bartenstein http://www.ecolifelab.com