Hello All,
I have been recieving the associated emails from this list for some time now
and find them interesting. BUT, maybe I am missing something here although
there does seem one question arises - what about tying it all together?
So, plant the trees tol get the seed to then get the veg oil to get the
biodiesel and the biomass to get the electricity. OK, that is putting it very
simplistically but, fully expanded out, it may have some merit.

I live in Northern Australia where I can access a native tree that yields
copious quantities of seed that, when pressed, yields a generous quantity of
oil. Although this oil is totally unsuitable as a food product, it is good for
biodiesel and other industrial uses. The tree does not compete with cultivation
land used for cropping, is drought tolerant and doesnot require fertilizers etc
for its continued life.
I am currently at the stage of putting in a screw press to extract the oil,
then I can manufacture the biodiesel and generate electricity from the biomass
then put the remaining biochar back into the ground (in my vegie garden as a
starting point).

One question though, if I have access to some 3,000 acres (say, approx 1,500
hectares) of land on which I plant some 450,000 trees that yields around  17,
72, 331,347 kg carbon per plant at 5, 10, 15, 25 years of age respectively,
what is the potential for carbon trading? While these figures should be
regarded as general only, they do come from a University source from a trial
conducted by them over that time frame. So I would think it is reasonably
accurate.

I would appreciate your responses
John Petersen