On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Chip Mefford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Snipped for clarity, Just responding to the points with which
> I have issue:

> Yes, the 'all or none by tomorrow' is a false dichotomy. It's stating
> that since it cannot happen by tomorrow, then it should be dismissed
> right now. I don't think this is deliberate, or even slopping logic,
> I think it's intentional, and meant to argue a point without making
> a competent rebuttal.
>
> Further,
> Again, as I stated earlier, assuming the entire world wakes up tomorrow
> and decides, "Okay, Nukes are a bad idea, let's get rid of them" first
> and foremost, someone needs to come up with a way to do that. This
> has not been done. Key Point, there isn't any way to get rid of the
> damned machines. So, even given that folks start working on ways to
> safely deactivate these plants tomorrow, (and they aren't going to)
> it will likely take decades before any real momentum builds.

True.  I see that argument being used, though, to justify keeping old
ones online then using complacency to argue that new ones must be
better if the old ones are troublesome.  It's a nasty cycle with no
merit.  Of course, there are people who believe that by eating a bit
of flesh and drinking a bit of blood from a guy 2000 years dead is a
good idea.  It's easy to see how people can be swayed by incompetence.

> And Rockefeller/Standard oil did a very nice job of getting 'cave men'
> to switch from wood to oil in very short order.

You missed my point entirely though it wasn't necessarily the best example.

> As to maintaining our lifestyle:

Any change effects everything. I'm not suggesting our lifestyle is
good or bad.  I was hinting that any change, for better or worse, will
effect us in some way.  You know, the whole Rome wasn't built in a day
thing (though, it did burn rather quickly).

> Sorry, I don't see lighting up parking lots as a lifestyle that
> deserves the resultant destruction and depletion of resources.
> We can do so much better than this.

I agree.  I love it that my place of employment has enough natural
light that we can leave the lights off during the day!  Even 10 years
ago motion sensors on bathroom lights were an oddity and now we barely
notice them.  Change is slow and we cannot ignore strides made just
because the other side slings mud.