I have met this man and can vouch for his naval background and period of
service in nuclear submarines but this is the first time he has mentioned
this. He is now in his eighties, very lucid and up with the  play. He
retired early with definitely negative views on US.geopolitics, converted to
Islam, married a very warm and charming Muslim woman and they now live in
Malaysia.

For fifteen years I was a working, AEC and USN certified and licensed Water
Cooler Reactor Engineer, Operator and Watch Supervisor.  I know with an
engineers certainty that you cannot make a water cooler reactor go
supercritical to the point at which it will explode.

We tried to do that a number of times early on back in the late fifties in
Idaho, and we simply could not do it.  All we got were meltdowns, which were
not very spectacular at all on the scale of Fukushima and, without the Press
spectacularization and sensationalization of Three Mile Island, Chernobyl
and wherever, not at all spectacular or frightening.  Messy, and a bit of
work to clean up, true, but nothing dangerous or out of the ordinary.

I knew most of the men involved, and we have all lived rather long and
healthy lives ever since, except for th statistical norms who were involved
in other mishaps such as sinking submarines, speeding autos, and perhaps an
irate husband or two.

We could never even simulate or stimulate anything like a "China Syndrome"
which proved Jane full of shit.

The biggest difference with what we did experimentally in Idaho and what
happened in subsequent Power Plant "disasters" was the presence of the press
and public exposure.  We were a closed US Naval Installation, and we kept it
that way.  None of the men were sworn to secrecy or ordered to "keep quiet,"
they simply did not seem to think that anything we were doing was very
exciting or worth discussing.  The Press has a tendency to magnify and
spectacular!

If there was a nuclear explosion or an uncontrolled nuclear event at
Fukushima, then it was not the reactor!

Note; a high intensity chemical explosion within a nuclear reactor core
might make quite a mess, which is why the hydrogen was always such a
problem.  And, it was also why nuclear reactor containments were built with
very heavy and thick steel and concrete walls.

It has been my experience that just getting a nuclear reactor up to
criticality, and keeping it hot and running was  some sort of superhuman
miracle... making it go bang would be and is physically, (in the nuclear
physics sense) impossible.  The negative temperature coefficient of the
water reflector and shield are physically ordered to prevent this by
immutable laws of physics and thermodynamics.

This is not only my personal testimony... it is the official testimony of
every Nuclear Physicist and Engineer who has ever worked or written about
Nuclear weapons and Nuclear power systems.  There is a great difference
between the two, and to make either one happen, or do what it is designed to
do, is immensely more difficulty a task to make happen than to prevent.

I have lived and worked with professionals in both of these fields.

Earlaiman

  _____