Lots of replies! I read them all, at least once. Many of them said
very complimentary things that I wasn't at all aware of. (Another
deep bow.) I haven't started replying yet, I'll do it as I can.

It's given me a clearer picture of how the list works and what people
use it for. Two points emerge: members like the news snippets, and
they don't want the list to close.

I've said we'll be replacing the list with a new online community,
and I thought it could wait until then. But maybe not, maybe you're
right, it shouldn't close.

Okay, so we won't close it then.

I checked it out with the host service, and we have another few weeks
yet, so there's no big hurry, we'll figure out the nuts and bolts
before then. The host service has been great, but we can't continue
with them.

For 12 years now I've been committed to the list, as list owner and,
well, its guardian, I suppose, but times change, and I can't afford
to do that any longer, there just isn't enough time in the day. I'll
be there, the guy who posts the news snippets, but probably not much
more than that.

About the archives. As long as the listserve distributes the messages
to the members, the archives updates automatically. With only
snippets, sent direct, it wouldn't do that. If we continue with a
listserve then the archives will stay current. (And the listserve
software we need is Mailman.)

And, no, Journey to Forever is not closing. The list and Journey to
Forever are associated, but not the same. I'm working full-time for
Journey to Forever now (that's the problem).

Regarding news feeds, several members said they've subscribed to Tom
Feeley's Information Clearing House - "For Global Justice". I have
great admiration for Tom. He does a huge amount of work every day,
and I've never seen him put a foot wrong. He's faced death threats,
at least twice, but he's unstoppable. This is his website:

Information Clearing House
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

Scroll down a bit and have a look at the column on the right listing
the sources he checks, impressive. If you appreciate his work, please
send Tom a few bucks every now and then if you can spare it. He
regularly runs out of money and posts a plea in his newsletter, but
what he never does is send out streams of in-your-face hard-sells for
support like Common Dreams, Truthout and most of the other news sites
do. He says he'd rather do what he's supposed to be doing, searching
out the news. I know exactly how he feels!

If I cut incoming news feeds down to the essentials (which I'm trying
to do), it would be Information Clearing House, Common Dreams and
Truthout.

Common Dreams
http://www.commondreams.org/

Truthout