http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2014/04/04/pacific-biodiesel-shuts-down-facility-at-maui.html?page=all

Apr 4, 2014, 1:02pm HST

Pacific Biodiesel shuts down facility at Maui landfill after being open for almost 20 years

Duane Shimogawa     Reporter- Pacific Business News

Pacific Biodiesel Technologies recently closed its facility at the Central Maui Landfill after being open since 1996, its owner said Friday.

Robert King, president and founder of Pacific Biodiesel, said that the company was notified by the Maui County Department of Environmental Management last December that continuing the current operation would require multiple permits and extensive upgrades to comply with new county requirements.

“With just over two years left on our contract, we couldn’t justify the costly site improvements that were required to meet the county’s demands,” King said in a statement.

Pacific Biodiesel, which said the plant was the oldest of its kind in the United States, will continue its full range of pumping and collection services on the Valley Isle and Lanai, as well as its collection and processing operations on Oahu and the Big Island with distribution of its fuel still continuing.

Prior to closing, the Puunene facility was providing pre-processing of waste oils for shipping to its state-of-the-art biodiesel refinery in Hilo, but now that the landfill facility has closed, the cooking oil on Maui will be transferred directly to Big Island Biodiesel. Grease trap waste will continue to be processed on Oahu and the Big Island.

“Needless to say, it was difficult to shut down the plant after all these years but we found ourselves with little recourse given the extent of the requirments to continue operations,” King said. “We are committed to our community-based model and hope to return to Maui with our industry-leading technology in the future.”

In the meantime, Pacific Biodiesel will continue to collect Maui County’s waste oils and grease and distribute premium distilled biodiesel across the state.

To date, the Maui-based company has diverted more than 22 million gallons of waste from the community’s landfill.

--
Darryl McMahon
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?