I had the opportunity to listen to Tim Flannery speak last night in person. If you get the opportunity, recommended. Tim is travelling the globe promoting his new book, Atmosphere of Hope (my son got a signed copy, and we're looking forward to reading it).

Some take-aways. In 2014, we witnessed the decoupling of economic growth from fossil fuel consumption. Small efforts (e.g., switch to efficient lighting by many people) is making a difference. China reduced it's use of coal by 2.5% in 2014 (in a single year). Industrial scale carbon capture from fossil fuel power plants as practiced today is a dead-end. There are a wide range of viable options available - the Virgin prize on climate change competition has received over 11,000 entries. Growing specific types of seaweed in the near off-shore can absorb massive amounts of carbon from the atmosphere, while producing protein for feeding a growing human population. A technology for producing carbon fibre from carbon captured from the atmosphere, instead of from burning other material, at a lower over-all cost.

The event was sponsored by the Broadbent Institute and Mowat Centre to announce their ideas for moving to a low carbon world.

http://mowatcentre.ca/wp-content/uploads/publications/112_StepChange.pdf

In a following conversation with Paul Beckwith (professor and abrupt climate change researcher at University of Ottawa), I learned he is now writing a book on the subject.

I think there may be a new sense of freedom in the federal public service. I saw faces at the session last night I have not seen at public events around environmental issues for years.