>Composting toilets resolve water issues and enhance soils.

That's exactly right, that's what we have to do. I prefer "restore"
to "enhance" though - the stuff goes back to where it came from,
according to the natural cycle. Flush toilets break that cycle, like
many other things we do. That broken cycle is right at the root of so
many of our problems, or even all of them, I think sometimes.

There's an energy aspect to this. Compost is a seriously neglected
source of energy. It's easy to rig a composting toilet arrangement so
that it's contributing to a thermophilic (hot) compost heap rather
than a mesophilic process (warm, takes longer). The heat generated is
considerable. Often when I've mentioned this I've been told: "But
it's uncontrollable," which always baffles me, I don't think it's
uncontrollable. I think Jerry mentioned this once, using compost to
heat water. I reckon it should be a standard arrangement.

They say you need bulk to make good hot compost, but it's not really
true. It is probably true that if you don't have bulk you need skill.
But it's an easily learnt skill. We have a smallish composting unit
outside, about 16 cub ft (plus a bunch of worm bins about the place),
but I've also been fiddling with a small unit on the balcony, a
14x14x14" wooden box - less than 1.5 cub ft internal. Right now
there's about 1 cub ft of composting stuff in it, and the temperature
is 58 deg C (136 deg F). Our hot water tap only does 56, which is
more than enough. The box will stay at that temp for at least a week.
With two of them in series (the usual way with composters) you'd have
a constant supply of heat, easy enough to harness and taking up very
little space. It's free, very productive (compost is GOOD stuff!),
easy to keep it fed if you have a small garden and a kitchen, and
you're keeping your organic wastes out of the waste stream, where
they truly don't belong, and putting them where they do belong, in a
considerably enhanced form. Aleks's acid-base 2-stage process (the
Foolproof process) needs less heat than that (55 deg C). Such small
boxes won't do for humanure, but they're just fine for anything else.

>As for paper, better recycled cardboard boxes or renewable annuals.

Yep.

>In a perfect world nothing but lumber should be coming directly from trees.

Well, I see what you mean, but a good forest can produce a great
variety of products (including energy) in large quantities and still
be there, nice place to take a walk in, full of wildlife and stuff.
Chopping it down is a really dumb thing to do. Especially to make
paper out of it.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever