As far as I know, studies show lack of lead only hurts long idling fleet
engines. Many times a machine shop just wants to make extra money inserting
hardened valve seats. Additive sellers just want to sell additive. It might
depend on the make too, some use cheaper iron than others. I dunno how
alcohol affects that though. You might need head work to raise the
compression for alcohol, or find a different head with a smaller volume. This
is what I'll do with my '69 amc 232. I have a 65 head with smaller chambers.
Jay in carson city

Phillip Paton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have only recently had my eyes open to the idea of making your own
> biofuels,
> and find this list very interesting and informative. thanks
>
> I'd like to ask a question regarding using straight ethanol in older
> motors,
> originally designed for leaded petrol. The lead had a role in
> lubricating the
> valve and preventing valve seat recession. LRP also has an additive for
> this purpose.
> With the use of straight ethanol how is the valve lubrication achieved.
> regards
>
> Phil Paton

> This message is intended for the addressee named and may
> contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views
> expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
> and are not necessarily the views of the Department of
> Information Technology & Management.
>
> This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the
> presence of computer viruses.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]