Hi Cornelius

>Hey guys, why the grief?  I don't like the idea that only the liberal view
>point is acceptable in this discussion group

I also don't like that idea. If anybody thinks that they've got it wrong.

>but what really upsets me is
>that we waste so much air time on politics when I want to learn about fuels.
>I disagree with much of the political liberal view point expressed here but I
>do not condemn the author.  I hope to read more about fuels and less about
>opinions of a political nature.

"Politics", "political liberal view point", "opinions of a political
nature" - this is just labelling, it's specious, and it says more
about the labeller than the labelled.

What strikes me about these recurrent objections is that they all
seem to be the same. They don't try to counter the information
they're objecting to with contrary information, they don't present
anything resembling a case or any foundation for their view that it's
off-topic, they just sling labels at it. Then they say, "Let's get
back to talking about fuels." The opposing view is that the
discussion they're objecting to IS about fuels.

It's really an argument between a broad definition of the context of
biofuels and a narrow one. It's not a very sensible argument.
Narrowing the discussion might satisfy some but would deprive others.
Keeping it broad deprives nobody, and nobody's forcing anybody to
read anything they don't want to read. (Mention is made of the Delete
button option.) So I won't narrow it. If you think there are more
important considerations that should override this view, please tell
me about them.

Also, keeping it narrow means defining what's on-topic and what's
not. Do you think you could do that without risk of excluding
valuable and on-topic discussion? Some of the guys were talking about
the wonders of New Zealand honey the other day, clearly off-topic,
but they're sensible and didn't push it too far. So fine, honey's
off-topic, put it on the banned list. (Why didn't you object to that,
by the way? - it wasn't about fuels.) Er, but before you ban it, do
an archive search and you'll find discussion on using honey as a
feedstock for ethanol. So maybe you could define it as "off-topic,
unless it's on-topic"? And so on and on. Anyway, don't be deterred,
go on, make your list. When you've finished it, please persuade the
membership to accept your definitions. Don't be surprised when people
start yelling at you: "Stop wasting time with all this off-topic
political BS, let's get back to biofuels!"

It's you who's being political. You want to make rules and impose
them on people who demonstrably don't need them. You want to restrict
everyone here to your view, whether or not they agree with it. You
want to impose your limited definitions on a large group with a vast
variety of backgrounds, interests, cultures, nations, and spheres of
operation, in a vital and rapidly developing field that is as yet
relatively undefined - we here are among those helping to define it.
Restrictive rules and narrow definitions will hardly help.

There are 645 of us here at the moment. I wouldn't propose that I
know better than any of them, and even less so than all of them -
their collective knowledge and wisdom is most impressive. You seem to
think someone decides what's acceptable and not acceptable here - you
disagree and think it should be you. Actually nobody decides,
everybody decides. They're sensible people, they make their own
decisions. It works very well. It's called democracy. I like it!

There you are Cornelius - a genuine opinion of a political nature for you!

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo