>I have heard that much of the used veggie oil is being added to feedstock
>direct.  Aside from the low nutritional value, what are your thoughts on
>this?
>
>Mike

Hi Mike

Problems with that too since the dioxin scare in Belgium. Used oil
value is right down, at least in Britain. If you just measure the
protein it does have nutritional value, and that seems to have been
the approach. It always beat me though that the high FFA content made
it unsuitable for human consumption but not to feed animals raised
for human consumption. I think a lot of people are asking questions
like that now. Also of course a lot (most?) of the used veggie oil
contains animals fats and oils. Should it be fed to grass-eaters?
People are saying "No". All these practices are being looked at. It's
okay to feed meat and bonemeal to chickens, it seems, according to
industry. It's also okay to feed chicken litter (manure and bedding)
to grass-eaters. No no, the prion can't get into the cattle that way.
Uh-huh. That from the folks who gave us prions in the first place,
and then denied they existed. Now we know all about prions though, so
it's quite safe. Actually we know there's a rather undescribed
thingie with a label on it that says "prion", and the court is still
out on how the cattle got infected in the first place, and the
humans. No doubt there are other unknown thingies down the road that
we'll also find labels for in time, after denying they exist. The
sane thing to do with all this stuff, tallow included, is to turn it
into fuel. And accomplish in the doing what Terry calls "the ethical
switch", stop turning our livestock into cannibals.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects