[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>      I am also 'plane' crazy- I would love to build and install a diesel
> engine
> in an aircraft. I know, that German company (Zoche) is making 4 and 8 cyl
> radial
> diesels for air craft, but they have been promising that for more than 10
> years.
> :-( Regards, Joe.

It's worse than that.  Zoche has been promising an engine for about 15
years.  I doubt it will ever happen.  Apparently the German government
(Germans please correct me if I'm wrong) has some sort of program which
give out research grants to small businesses for the purpose of
designing new products.  Once they get a product to market the grant
money dries up.  I seriously doubt we will ever see a Zoche Aero Diesel
as OEM in a production aircraft, because Zoche Aero Diesels is Georg
Zoche's money machine, and he wants to keep the government money coming
in.

"greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> check out    some of the WW2 aircraft the germans had, one was a seaplane
> that had a diesel. i`ll try and find more info.  greg

Oh, indeed, one of them was a seaplane.  And what a seaplane it was!
The largest seaplane in the world up to that time.  The only seaplane
that was larger was the Spruce Goose.  It was built by either Blohm and
Voss, or Dornier, I don't remember which.  Unfortunately it was
destroyed by allied aircraft either on or just after its maiden flight.
Shame.

The engines were built by Junkers, IIRC, and had some pretty interesting
technology.  There is a company in England which is building a diesel
aircraft engine based on their design.

www.dair.co.uk

The Germans in WWII had more than just that one diesel powered aircraft.
 A number of their aircraft, including many of their bombers were also
diesel powered.

The Russians in WWII converted one squadron of bombers to diesel power
at one point for the purpose of a raid on Berlin.  Diesels were the only
engines that would give them the range they needed.  Their conversion
was ill concieved, though, and their engines weren't anywhere nearly as
reliable as the German ones.  While they were able to hit Berlin, none
of them made it home, due mostly to engine failures.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks, Greg.
>      There were a lot of Early French planes that had diesels as well.
> Recently,
> there were two Frenchmen who put a 4 cyl. turbo Renault (?) diesel in a small
> homebuilt aircraft.

That would probably be the Dieselis.  Good looking little airplane, but
underpowered IHMO.

When it comes to French technology, Moraine-Renault, Renault Sport, and
Aerospatiale have gotten together and spun off another company called
SMA (Societe Motorisations Aeronautiques) for the purpose of building
diesel aircraft engines.  They have in the plans a 180 hp engine, and
currently have one flying in an Aerospatiale Trinidad.  I know they have
a website, because I've seen it, but I can't find a bookmark for it and
none of the search engines seem to spider it right now.

> Teledyne Continental,

With a big check and a kick in the pants from Nasa.  TCM has a website,
but as is typical of large corporations it's useless.

Lycoming also has a diesel project going in a joint venture with Detroit
Diesel, but like TCM, their website us useless.

> and Deltahawk are also working on 4cyl diesel aircraft
> engines in the 200 hp category.

Oh, Deltahawk has some _good_ plans!

www.deltahawkengines.com

>      Wouldn't it be great to fly an aircraft using Biodoesel? (piston, Bio-d
> can
> already be used in turbine engines) Cheers, Joe

Just go to http://www.biodiesel.org/default2.htm and look at the results
of using biodiesel in Baylor University's King Air.

"greg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[Big German seaplane]
> from what i remember it had a prop on top of the body. it was so slow that
> it was only used on patrol on the cost.  good luck   greg

There were several of those.  The British also had a similar flying boat
for patrol in the Atlantic.  Most seaplanes of the flying boat design
either have the engine mounted on a pod on top of the wing, or they have
a high wing configuration with the engines mounted on the wing in front
of the spray line to keep the engines out of the water.  Then there is
the Consolidated PBY which had the entire wing mounted on a stalk above
the fuselage, complete with two engines.

Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>      Actually, it's strange that more diesels haven't been used in planes.
> The low
> revving powerband is ideal, most auto-gas engine conversions have to use a
> gear rpm
> reducer for the prop, since they badly lose efficiency over 2000 rpm.

Actually, there are several aircraft engines out there built with prop
speed reduction units on them.  Continental builds several of them.
Probably the most common, and the most powerful is the GTSIO-520.
(Geared, Turbo Supercharged, fuel Injected, Opposed, 520 CID)
Continental says they'll produce 425 hp IIRC, and run 1200 hours between
overhauls.  In practice, if they're run that hard they'll usually blow
up at around 600 hours.

And then there's that placard over the throttle quadrant that reads
"Warning: Sudden throttle movement may cause catastrophic engine
failure."  It can.  I've seen the result.  It wasn't pretty.

Interestingly enough, there's a second peak in the efficiency curve at
4400 rpm, and that's where the F1 racers run them.  They like to use
O-320 engine cores and run them at 4400 rpm with small, multibladed
propellers on them.  They may be efficient, but they are also LOUD!

> I suppose
> weight is a factor, but there have been plenty of aircooled diesels, and, in
> recent
> years, any number of water-cooled auto engine conversions.

Weight isn't as much a factor anymore.  The technology is finally
catching up with the concept.  If Zoche's figures are right, his 300hp
engine actually weighs 40% _less_ than its Lycoming counterpart.  The
SMA engines are running just a little overweight of their Lycoming
couterparts.

The current list of manufacturers that have plans to produce diesel
aircraft engines are:

Teledyne Continental Motors, with funding from NASA
Textron Lycoming in a joint venture with Detroit Diesel
SMA
Deltahawk Inc.  www.deltahawkengines.com
Wilksch Airmotive  www.wilksch.com
Diesel Air Ltd.  www.dair.co.uk
And (there's always hope) Zoche Aero Diesels  www.zoche.de

Hopefully someone will have a good one on the market soon, and I suspect
it will be SMA.

Fair wind,
Alan
--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]