This will be my last post on this thread.  Hopefully it will die a quiet
death.

"L Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The problem is that we have a number of organizations out there with
> > more balls than brains.  Fortunately, unlike many of its even more
> > radical brethren, the NRA has kept it efforts officially in the legal
> > and legislative arenas.
> >
> GOA (Larry Pratt)  claims to be that org - time will tell.

Time will tell, indeed.  At least the GOA hasn't gone to the stunt of
havving a spokes-celebrity as a president.

> NRA is fat and happy -
> just spent millions on the new building in/near the District of Criminals.
> They've
> been compromising with the devil for a long time - now they're like the Cancer
> Society - a cure would destroy their cushiy gig - illogical analogy, but
> close.

A better analogy would be with the NAACP.  They make their living from
racial tension, and if we lived in perfect racial harmony they'd be out
of a job.

At least the people at the Cancer Society really believe in what they're
doing and most of them actually want to be out of a job.

> > This may come as a surprize to you, but it is not illegal to own a
> > machine gun in the USA.  You have to go through a mountain of paperwork,
> > pay some stiff fees, get an FBI background check, and provide proof of
> > security for the weapon, but if you can jump through all of those hoops
> > you can own your very own machine gun.
> >
> Check state constitutions and statutes.  Some expressly exempt militia from
> any
> restrictions (like the Class 3 registration and extortion you refer to  AND
> not in
> federal jurisdiction).

I haven't looked into it in some time, so I'm not as familiar with the
subject as perhaps I should be.  The one thing I do recall about it is
that while state laws may be more restrictive that federal laws they may
not be less restrictive.  Witness all of the acrimony going on over
medical marijuana and industrial hemp.

> > Why shouldn't convicted felons have their rights to own firearms
> > restricted?  They have already shown they aren't trustworthy.  Much of
> > the time by using firearms to commit crimes.  If they show that they can
> > fit back into society, and be good little boys and girls they can earn
> > their full franchize back, and have their rights reinstated.  I know
> > personally several who have.
> >
> Check Idaho - I am told a statute expresslly states there will be no
> restrictions on
> fellons as regards weapons.

I don't know.  I live in Florida, which does restrict the rights of
convicted felons to own firearms.  A position which I support.  Until
they have proven themselves capable of being good citizens I certainly
don't want them to be able to go out and buy firearms at any gun shop.

> Sorry, Keith - don't have a copy to confirm.  When I
> don't have to pay the 'rent', I be more thorough.

Same here.

> And how easy is it to become a
> felon anymore?  Slap a dog around;

Since when was simple animal cruelty a felony?  Chapter and verse?

> fly the Bonnie Blue (anti Federal Aggression flag
> and a song before the Stars And Bars);

First amendment.  The ACLU would be happy to help you fight it all the
way to the Supreme Court.  Besides which, I've never seen one outside of
a museum.

> fly the current US corporate flag upside down
> in uptown suburbia;

Since when were violations of the Flag Code felonies?  Besides which,
flying the flag upside down is a distress signal, and false distress
signals cary penalties of their own.

And if you're flying it upside down for political reasons then it's
protected free speach under the First Amendment.

Those of us who are veterans tend to be a little sentimental about the
Stars and Stripes, if you know what I mean.

> or refuse to 'cooperate' in an investigation of one the their
> targets

Law enforcement agencies have to have some muscle to flex in order to do
their jobs.  But they are also limited by several of the other
amendments in the Bill Of Rights.

I know personally a number of law enforcement officers, because they are
fellow pilots.  I wouldn't have their jobs for all of the money in the
world.  They have what must be one of the hardest jobs in the world.
There isn't a man among them that I don't have a great deal of respect
for.

I know the Sherriff of Pinellas County, who is also a fellow pilot.  I
got to laugh at him one day when he was going to fly one of my boss's
airplanes, forgot to untie the left wing and wound up doing turns around
a tiedown.

I know law enforcement agencies have their ugly underbellies too, but on
the whole they do their jobs well, and they also have to operate within
the confines of the Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court.

> - and many more can make one a felon so fast your head will spin.

Well, considering that the vast overwhelming majority of the inmates in
our penitentiaries are there because of drug offences, I'd say the
easiest way to get yourself a felony conviction is to sell illegal
drugs.

> > >      The real problem is that we have a criminal organization running the
> > > country,
> > > from the top down, and it doesn't matter if it's Slick Willie or Dubbya,
> > > it's all
> > > the same, just another criminal gang.
> >
> That W (witless)

Ok, since you're so sure that they're _all_ criminals, and the system is
hopelessly broken then what do you propose to replace it with?

I also know one of my Congressmen personally, and one of my State
Representatives personally.  They're not perfect, but they're not
corrupt.

> You demonstrate some of the prob right off - the hijacked education system has
> people talking and thinking democracy.

Humph!  I have 5 generations of teachers in my mother's family!  If the
education system has been hijacked then who hijacked it?

Big business, that's who.  They want people just educated enough to make
good employees and good consumers, and they make sure the funding gets
put where it will do them the most good.  They use campaign funds and
lobbyists to accomplish their goals, but then so do the NRA and GOA!

> Absolutely not - REPUBLIC is it.

I never said the USA was Democracy.  I know it's a REPUBLIC.  But
democracy, the process, not the institution, is a large part of that
REPUBLIC.

> This is
> the soap box.

Well, let's get out the sulphuric acid and methanol and turn the soap
into biodiesel.

> Somehow, we did not get the jury box in here yet.

I've sat on a jury as well.  A robbery case that had more holes than an
English muffin.  It took us 15 minutes to acquit.  Most of that was
spent doing paperwork.

> As to the ballot
> box, it too is corrupted.  As a local official, just try to get the source
> code for
> the programs running in the vote counting machines - won't happen.

I _am_ a local official!  I _am_ a poll inspector!  I know the Pinellas
County Supervisor of Elections personally, and she's straight as an
arrow!

And if you're accusing _me_ of corruption they you and I are going to
dance!

Of course you can't get the source code, because it's proprietary to the
companies that build the machines!  Perhaps it might have some bugs in
it, but the _all_ software has bugs in it.  The machines themselves
don't care who the candidates are, all they do is count selections on
ballots by number.

If you want an example of more important software that you can't get the
source code for then consider this:  Almost all government computers run
the Windows operating system.  Just try to get Windows source code from
Micro$oft.  You won't be able to without $50,000, an approval from M$,
and a nondisclosure agreement.

> Run searches on
> 'vote AND scam AND elections'.

And you'll find a few elections scams and a lot of unsubstantiated
conspiracy theory.

Oh, to be sure there are a lot of elections scams.  We make it easy when
less than half of us bother to vote!

You should have heard the uproar at the polls about the State of Florida
now requiring picture and signature identification in order to vote.
Why?  Because we found that too many _dead_ people in Miami were voting!

Don't even get me started about the actions of the Florida Secretary of
State during the 2000 election!  She should have recused herself, and
deserves to lose her job!

Don't claim the whole system is broken just because of the
transgressions of a few people.

> The cartridge box remains.  Many of them care not -
> the incrementalism is working fine and the vast majority of us have no clue
> about
> the cartridge box.

If you're talking about armed uprising against the government of the
United States then I know an FBI agent and a Secret Service agent, both
fellow pilots, who would like to talk to you.

> BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG - GRASSROOTS ACTION CAN GET MAKE CHANGES - VOTE EARLY
> AND
> OFTEN (LBJ, I think).

I like that one.  Another one is "Never attribute to malice that which
can adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napolean.  That one
covers so much of what goes on in our government.

Another of my favorites is "Those who would trade liberty for security
deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin.

And finally, in your zeal to protect second amendment rights, never
forget that the Bill Of Rights has 9 other amendments in it all of which
are at least equally as important as the second one.

And with that I hope this thread passes quietly into the archives.
Alan
--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]