From: Paul Gobert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 3:49 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] OT Oxy-Acetylene BANG.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Lots of fun! I used to blow up old soda pop cans with an oxy-acetylene
> torch and toilet paper as the wick. Very loud! :-)  Joe.

Worked at a refractory brick manufacturing plant, (45lb pitch bonded
calcined dolomite for use in Basic Oxygen Steelmaking Vessels.) The workers
used to do a similar thing with soccer ball sized plastic bags.
Great dust shaker but the cardboard wick soaked in kero had me worried
safety wise. Not wanting to spoil their fun (and to get in on the act
myself) made up detonators out of match heads packed around a single strand
of fine iron wire. These were attatched to one end of a long twin strand
cord  and sealed inside the bag of oxy-acetylene. The fork lift came in
handy as both a source of battery power and a sufety shield.
Even convinced the manager that letting a few larger ones of these of in the
kiln building would be a good way of shaking the dust out of the place.
After a while the small plastic bags got a bit ho hum. So we went larger.
56lb plastic liners from concrete style paper bags were employed to great
effect.
We ended up with a good demonstration of the power of fuel and oxygen.
A heavy duty lidless 44 gallon drum (55g US) was stuffed with two of these
bags and  inverted over two bricks.
The resulting bank and flames were very impressive (the local airforce base
got the blame for sonic booms that night). Being dark we couldn't see what
happened to the drum. Shortly there was a clatter and then a thump.
Exploring by torchlight revealed the base of the drum which had been blown
out and now resembled a chinamans hat, nearby was the body of the drum,
split at the seam and wrapped completely around itself.
Just as well that wire was a long one.

regards Paul.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
To unsubscribe, send an email to: